dave graney - Moodists-Coral Snakes-mistLY-FEARFUL WIGGINGS

dave graney - Moodists-Coral Snakes-mistLY-FEARFUL WIGGINGS
Cds available via links below. Your support for our music is greatly appreciated.

About Me

My photo
2023 book THERE HE GOES WITH HIS EYE OUT (lyrics 1980-2023) 2023 reissue Dave Graney and the Coral Snakes Night Of The Wolverine. Double vinyl release. 2023 ROCK album with Clare Moore IN A MISTLY . WORKSHY - 2017 memoir out on Affirm Press. Available at shows or via website. Moodists - Coral Snakes - mistLY. I don’t know what I am and don’t want to know any more than I already know. I aspire, in my music , to 40s B Movie (voice and presence) and wish I could play guitar like Dickey Betts, John Cippolina or Grant Green - but not in this lifetime, I know.

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Baby I Wish I'd Been A Better Pop Star


contains a photo by Tony Mahony

Baby I wish I'd been a better pop star
I wish I'd known when it started
I would've gone without more
I would've stayed inside
I would've stayed in shape
Baby I wish I'd been a better pop star
I could've been even more of a bastard
I could've really settled some scores
stayed low, picked my moments. kept my powder dry and then "Bam!"
Baby I wish I'd been a better pop star
cleaner! I was so messy!
I should've showed up! Had my act together
I should've showed some respect for the window!
When it was time to shine , I wasn't shiny! 
Baby I wish I'd been a better pop star
I could be dead by now!
You could be on your fourth or fifth!
I blew it baby! I screwed up! 
I should've repeat myself- repeat!
I should've stayed on message
I should've know in was on!
Baby I wish I'd been a better pop star

Baby I Wish I’d Been A Better Pop Star is the first single from the 2019 album from Dave Graney and the mistLY, ZIPPA DEEDOO WHAT IS/WAS THAT/THIS?

Lyrically it’s a conversational song, but a conversation between two players. Talking as if after a heist gone wrong.

How can you be a good pop star? Good/bad but not evil?
How can you be a better Pop Star?
And why?
 A song that’s never been written before.

Twelve string guitar, a swinging drumbeat and big glam slashing guitar chords. It starts with a sly groove and bangs straight into a vivid chorus. BABY I WISH I’D BEEN A BETTER POP STAR.

Everybodys got regrets.

I could’ve been even more of a bastard!
I coulda really settled some scores!
Kept low/picked my moments/
kept my powder dry and then BAM!
!!”
Baby I Wish I’d been A Better Pop Star

Single out March 1st

ZIPPA DEEDOO WHAT IS/WAS THAT/THIS?

Out on CD and digitally in March 2019

The COMPACT DISC version of the album is available via mail order by clicking here...
If you are from outside Ausralia and wish to purchase a Compact Disc of ZIPPA DEEDOO WHAT IS/WAS THAT/THIS? please use this button (different postage)



Baby I Wish I’d Been A Better Pop Star first appeared as it does on Side Z of ZIPPA DEEDOO WHAT IS/WAS THAT/THIS? with me playing all the instruments (except for Clare Moore on drums). Clare suggested we do it with the mistLY and it came over all swinging and bright with pounding toms, pop oomph and zinging twelve string guitars. That was the idea of the album, to have songs done in different styles and tempos.



 Okay, there is no book on how to be a good pop star. Are there any good pop stars around? I don't really know.


People have low standards nowadays. A veteran music production friend said to me last night, "what will Ed Sheeran's legacy be? Some big grossing gigs in stadiums, but what standards did he set of his own?"

In my opinion ( I was going to say experience but realized it's never really been a situation for me), to be a pop star you need to be in the middle of a working, coherent music business that is all fussing and dancing around you. And it is only momentarily coherent because of you. Otherwise its just a chaotic scrum.

Personal taste comes into it. As does some sort of generational attitude.

Is a good pop star someone who obeys all the rules and inhabits the recognized forms of music and behaviour the best? Say, all the boys in One Direction? 
Or is it the opposite? Jim Morrison?

I have to say I prefer unruly bastards.

Jim Morrison, Hank Williams, Tupac, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Norious B.I.G, Lil Wayne.

Do they work quietly and self sufficiently or create a whole lot of problems that require constant attention from people working for them? Again, in my experience, when I've seen people working with large record companies, (Probably don't exist any more in that style - lots of people involved)  its the latter. People need something to do and a feeling that they are helping to shape something.

A pop star has to be massively poular, in my humble opinion. Across the board access to young minds.

Jim Morrison was that. Shaun Ryder and Kurt Cobain.

Do they thank everybody or say "fuck you" to everybody?  Again, I think the latter is best, though Elvis presley had great manners.

For women, all this is much harder to read. A much smaller gallery of archetypes to draw from. Everybody judges them on a broader societal scale. Drunkenness, druggery and sexual promiscuity. Where is Janis Joplin when people talk about and reissue music by Hendrix, Brian Jones, Tim Buckley, Kurt? And age is harsh on female performers more than their male counterparts. There are few female versions of Van Morrison or David Crosby or Neil Young. 

Pop stars I have enjoyed watching and listening to. (as opposed to other kinds of musicians who are my main interest).
Sophie Ellis Bextor, Womack and Womack, the Sex Pistols, Bryan Ferry, Nick Cave, Alexander O'Neal, Mental As Anything, Dragon (Marc Hunter), Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, The Steve Miller Band, Boz Scaggs, Ms Dynamite, Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, The Beastie Boys, The Cruel Sea, Estelle, Tupac, Lil Wayne, Mark Morrison, Curtis Mayfield, Slade, T Rex, The Rolling Stones, the Beatles, The Byrds, the Who. AND MANY MORE!



Shows below are by Dave Graney and Clare Moore.  
Thursday 28 March - Stag & Hunter, Newcastle  
Friday 29 March - Bent On Food, Wingham  
Saturday 30 March - 5 Church Street Bellingen  
Sunday 31 March - Brunswick Picture House
 

Friday April 12th - Memo Music Hall opening for Stephen Cummings.
 Saturday May 4th The Gov- Adelaide CLARE MOORE AND DAVE GRANEY opening for Stephen Cummings.

Saturday June 1st - The Railway Club Darwin Saturday June 15th-Major Toms, Kyneton.


Shows below are by Dave Graney and the mistLY


Wednesday 8 May
- Brass Monkey Cronulla
 
Thursday 9 May - The Bunker Coogee  
Friday 10 May - Lazybones Lounge, Marrickville  
Saturday 11 May - Metro Social, Katoomba  
Sunday 12 May - Dangar Bowlo.NSW

Sunday May 26th - Northcote Social Club (afternoon) ZIPPADEEDOO album launch show. 

Friday June 21st the Bison Bar, Nambour.  
June 22-23rd - the Bearded Lady, Brisbane.

July 12th - THE GOV - Adelaide.

 davegraney.com


3 comments:

Leonardo DiCaprio said...

I recently have some difficult conversations and I did what a lot of people do when they want to know more about something. I googled it. I came across Dr Williams herbal medicine on YouTube so many people thanking him about his good work. I also have stroke. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my stroke status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Williams for everything he have done for my family ,after taking Dr Williams medicine i was completely free from stroke within one month of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

JESSICA said...

ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE GREAT DEED HE HAVE DON FOR MY FAMILY.This information will be useful for epilepsy and stroke patients who is willing to use herbal medicine. My daughter had temporal lobe epilepsy, She had seizure and had a grand mal with rage episode. Our daughter's seizure is constant throughout the day. We had used several medicine which include: Epilim and Keppra, experience seizure control at the cost of serious debilitating side effects. It was during a casual conversation with a friend that I learned about herbal Dr. William on how he help her cure his son from stroke and so many others with different illness,his medicine does not have any side effect.after my daughter have finish taking dr williams medicine I am glad to say that he has been seizure-free since July 2015 after taking William medicine. this a miracle cure?contact him for more detail (drwilliams098675@gmail.com) .thanks once again admin for such an informative blog.

devansh said...

Thanks to Dr Williams I am so happy today, my wife have been suffering from stroke for the past 8 years now, and i have spent a lot on western drugs which has all proved abortive, i have tried all means in life to get my wife out of this  , but there was no answer until i decided to try herbal solution and i found Dr Williams online and i contacted him and after she took his medication as instructed, my wife is now completely cure from   stroke within one month of usage, i am so much happy, thanks to Dr Williams for helping me get my wife life  back  again without any form of crisis, i promise to tell your name and good deeds to the whole world,if you have someone with stroke  you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for more information .  

Dave Graney and Clare Moore with Georgio "the dove" Valentino and Malcolm Ross

Dave Graney and Clare Moore with Robin Casinader - In Concert

ONE MILLION YEARS DC

Starts with a Kinksy groover sketching a 21st century populist tyrant who coasts in power on waves of public resentment at those on the lowest rungs of the ladder (He Was A Sore Winner). Sweeps across a sci fi terrain with nods to songs in the sand at the end of the world (Pop Ruins) and nods to the ties that bind in the underground communities (Comrade Of Pop and Where Did All The Freaks Go?). Songs about intense, long relationships, defunct technology that didn’t answer back, severe social status definition (I’m Not Just Any Nobody), people wandering through your mind as if it was a garage sale, the anxiety of the long running showman (wide open to the elements again) and ends with a song that’s “a little bit Merle Haggard and a little bit Samuel Beckett”. " Edith Grove! Powis Square! 56 Hope Road! Petrie Terrace!.. The Roxy! The Odeon! Apollo! Palais! Olympia! The Whisky! Detroit Grande!” Pop Ruins!"

ZIPPA DEEDOO WHAT IS/WAS THAT/THIS?

ZIPPA DEEDOO WHAT IS/WAS THAT/THIS? (The title comes from the chorus of “Song Of Life” ) is a classic rock’n’roll album. Classic if you lived through what has become known as ”the classic rock era” as it rolled out new and even broke onto the beachhead and morphed into punk. That’s the direction Dave Graney and Clare Moore have always been coming from. They have spent their lives schooled by and immersed in rock ‘n’ roll culture. Neither attended higher education and they dived in deep and kept swimming. From the Moodists through the Coral Snakes /White Buffaloes to the mistLY This is an album with their band, Dave Graney and the mistLY. Stuart Perera has played guitar with them since 1998 and Stu Thomas on bass since 2004. MARCH 2019 ZIPPA DEEDOO WHAT IS/WAS THAT/THIS? 2019 album out on Compact Disc - available here via mail order...
If you are from outside of Australia and wish to purchase a Compact Disc copy of ZIPPA DEEDOO WHAT IS/WAS THAT/THIS? please use this button (different postage)

LETS GET TIGHT

FEARFUL WIGGINGS

2014 solo album from Dave Graney. *****"If I've learnt anything in my years of writing about music it's that if you are going to do anything of worth in this tough game, you better have your own thing. Today's generic is easily replaced by tomorrow's. And yet you need to be flexible, to follow wherever the songs demand. In the case of this, only the second credited as a solo album among 30 or so Graney releases, it's a curious yet welcoming lane he walks you down, with acoustic guitars, not much percussion, vibes, smooth sounds. At the end of it you feel like you've awoken from a strange yet pleasant summer's dream. As shot by Luis Bunuel. It ranges from off-kilter reveries (A Woman Skinnies Up a Man, The Old Docklands Wheel) through to the softly seductive (How Can You Get Out of London) and the downright arch (Look Into My Shades, Everything Is Great In The Beginning.) This is music that is neither folk, nor blues, nor country, but it's all Graney, somewhere out to the left field beyond Lee Hazlewood's raised eyebrow. It's astringent on the tongue but sweetens in the telling." Noel Mengel Brisbane Courier Mail

you've been in my mind

June 2012 super high energy pop rock album - blazing electric 12 strings - total 70s rock drive. Greatest yet! available via paypal - $20 pp

rock'n'roll is where I hide/- 2011 "vintage classics/ re recordings" on LIBERATION

SUPERMODIFIED - August 2010 remixed/re-sung/re-strung//remastered/replayed comp via PAYPAL

also available as a digital album

Knock yourself (2009)-first ever dg solo set-filthy electro r&b-available via Paypal- $20

available as a digital album too

We Wuz Curious (2008)-blazing R&B jazz pop album available via paypal-$20


UNAVAILABLE-COMPLETELY SOLD OUT!!!
AVAILABLE AS A DIGITAL album

Keepin' It Unreal-(2006)-minimalist/lyrical vibes, bass, 12 string set - CDs sold out - digital only

Hashish and Liquor (2005 double disc by Dave Graney and Clare Moore) available via Paypal $25


UNAVAILABLE-COMPLETELY SOLD OUT!!!
Single album HASHISH available as a digital release

Heroic Blues- "folk soul" set from 2002-Availableas a digital album via BandCamp


UNAVAILABLE ! Completely sold out!

It is written,baby-book released 1997- available $10 via paypal